ohmyzsh.sh is a great framework for managing your ZSH environment. Sometimes I have found the prompt can get really slow if you use many plugins, but I only use 3 of them and a prompt theme.
Follow their instructions or use libsh that I wrote to do the simple install.
Plugins I use
There are really only 2 plugins I use and here are the names and why:
plugins=(zsh-autosuggestions history-substring-search zsh-syntax-highlighting)
- super fast to find recent commands
- immediate feedback if the command exists or not based on color
- current git branch
- current state of git changes needed
- if last command took more than 10 seconds, time to execute is displayed
- SpaceShip-Prompt shows the following info
- Version of Python/Go/Nvm/Ruby/Docker
- Battery level being low
- Virtualenv loaded
# note: depending on your browser font # you might not see the icon between the # word "on" and "master" showing the git # branch icon libsh on master [$!?] on 🐳 v20.10.6 ➜
To see the icons, you should use a font that includes the
powerline extended glyphs.